Saturday 6 October 2007

Fishing Report: 30th July 07 - Bateman's Tower, Brightlingsea

I'd had a cracking Saturday evening digging King Ragworm which had left my bait tanks a bit overloaded. With so much bait in them they can become a bit hard work to maintain so I decided to leave a comfortable quantity stored in my tank for the following couple of weeks and used the excess as an excuse for an impromptu session after the local Bass. The tides were quite decent and so armed with a pound and a half of monster worms I headed down to the Tower at about 10pm intending to fish over the 1am tide. The Weatherman had forecast a fairly stiff breeze but, as it turned out, most of the session was pretty much calm and with a clear sky it was a rather pleasant evening, however despite the big tides and the strong winds during the week, the water was a bit too clear for my liking.

To cut a long story short despite banging out huge Ragworm baits for about five hours (and using the whole pound and a half of rag) I ended the night with two undersized Bass; one of 33cm and one of 32cm. I also dropped an Eel of about a pound as it came to the surface on my last cast but by that time of the morning, 4am, not having to unhook it and get covered in slime was actually a relief.

Undeterred, after a few hours kip and something to eat I headed back for the Monday daytime tide to do a bit of spinning, eager not to waste a decent day off work. I spent a couple of hours over the top of the tide covering the sea defence area with a Bass Bandit but unfortunately if there were any fish there the disturbance from the holiday makers was putting them off the feed. A lot of hard work for two undersized fish!