Friday 12 October 2007

Fishing Report: 7th August 07 - Brightlingsea

I thought I would take a stab at the local Mullet population with a baited spoon (and Ragworm) as the tides were pushing into the evening a bit (7pm high). I had hoped the front would be a bit quieter with a later tide, which it was, but not quiet enough for the Mullet. I arrived at the promenade at about 3pm to find plenty of people around waiting for the water to get to "swimming depth" and if there were any Mullet around they were going to be keeping their heads well and truly down.

The benefit of the baited spoon is however that if the Mullet won't play then you can catch Schoolies the same way, so despite the lack of Mullet showing I thought I would carry on in the hope of a Schoolie or two and began working my way around the promenade, spinning as I went. It wasn't long before the first Bass showed up, only about 10cm long but enough to keep my spirits up and persuade me to continue. I caught another of about 20 cm at the same spot about 10 minutes later but by now the paddlers had really move in and I decided it was getting a bit too crowded. Undaunted, a last move further upriver to use up the last hour of the outing proved to be worthwhile and by the time I packed up I'd added a further three Bass to my tally, two of about 20cm and one annoying close to being sizable at 34cm.

All in all, a pleasant way to spend a few hours in the sunshine.