Friday 12 October 2007

Fishing Report: 12 August 07 - Brightlingsea

As it was the last day of my leave I thought I would make one last go of it and have another spinning session on the Colne before returning back to the drudge of work. I wasn't expecting much as I thought there would be too many swimmers about but as I arrived at the promenade it was I was pleasantly surprised to find things reasonably quiet and set to work with a 30 gram Dexter Wedge and 3 inch Eel. Fishing from 8:30am through to the top of the tide at about noon (by which time I was more than a little sick of the sound of the distant jet skis) I managed a very surprising three Bass. I took the first, which was well undersized at only 10cm, from the promenade area very early on in the tide but as the tide got about halfway up I moved off to another spot and managed two that were a bit better, one of about 30cm and another of about 40cm.

Encouraged by my bit of success in the morning and much to my wife's disgust I decided to fish the following tide into the darkness. The water has cleared a little more and the front was a bit quieter but there seemed to be fewer fish about. Starting the session very early in the tide I had some very small Bass flinging themselves at the lure along the promenade stretch but it wasn't until I moved further upriver to a new spot that my one and only Bass of the night turned up. A hammering strike and a few runs on my light carp rod led to a sizable fish coming my way at last. On my return home it pulled the scales down to 2lb exactly. The sun began to drop in the sky as I was packing up and a cracking sunset provided the perfect end to a very good day by River Colne standards.