Thursday 27 September 2007

Fishing Report: 1st June 07 - Bateman's Tower, Brightlingsea

Luckily, as I maintain bait tanks in the summer I am normally able to grab a bit of fishing on the spur of the moment. Last night was just one of those occasions. As it was a reasonable tide and such a nice night I decided to fish a 2am tide on Bateman's Tower, starting about 11pm and fishing over the tide till 4am. The weather held for me and it was an enjoyable session though the end results were a bit of a let down. Despite trying hard for a decent Bass at the limit of my casting range my tally at the end of the session was 2 Eels to Peeler Crab (largest about 1lb) and a 12 oz Whiting (why are THEY still here?) both caught on the ebb, though I did miss an abortive run on the whole squid.

Peeler Crab baits were getting bite after bite, which judging by the slime on the traces was bootlace eels and I probably could have caught up to a dozen if I had taken off the 4/0 hook and used a No 2, but actually, who wants to catch bootlaces?

The only other observation of the night were that currently the water temperatures seem lower than usual which may be caused by the amount of freshwater draining into the river from the recent rains; certainly there is still a lot of rainwater to drain off the land if the small river in our cellar is anything to go by!